Monday, November 2, 2015

Tuning Up


 

Music has always been an important part of my life.  I started piano lessons at a young age and for many years I followed in my mother’s footsteps serving as an accompanist for various groups.  I have sung in different church choirs and cherish my high school madrigal group experience as a favorite memory.

My piano “career” was enhanced by music festival experience (high school) and a semester of private piano lessons (college).  At this current stage of life Charlie and I just enjoy “making music” together (Isn’t that what marriage is about… on many levels?  But, I digress). Charlie enjoys his flute while I “tickle the ivories”, playing at local nursing homes, or just for our own pleasure.

A friend of ours asked us to join her and another musical friend for several local Christmas music “gigs”.    We gathered around our piano the other day; I began to play and instantly realized it was time to call the piano tuner!  Each of the other instruments was ok on its own but with the piano….it was obvious something was off.

Being in tune touches other areas of life as well.  Several years ago, when I was serving on our church’s deacon board, our pastor asked all the board members  to come up to the front during a Sunday morning worship service. 

Pastor Steve had discerned that our congregation would benefit from seeing a visual picture of the “many” being of one mind.  I loved his word picture.  He compared us to a symphony orchestra…each of us unique, but together…. in unity… for the glory of God as we used our varied gifts and personalities to move the church forward in a single mission.

I once had an interesting question posed by a friend during a small group Bible study: he asked why Christians had such a hard time agreeing on different points of Scripture.   I believe, this side of heaven, due to our limited (spiritual) vision, it would be virtually impossible for all to agree on every point of God's Word.

But how exciting it is to know that God can still use His church… us…His people…to show the world what it looks like to have harmony and unity in spite of our differing perspectives.  When we adopt an “it’s not about me” attitude; when we prayerfully discern what is “a hill to die on and what is not”; when we invite the Holy Spirit to lead us; when we stand firm on non-negotiable's without rancor; when we “guard the Truth” per 2 Timothy, chapter 1...then, as the song goes, “they will know we are Christians by our love.”

My challenge is for all who are part of the body of Christ: let us show this contentious, argumentative, battle weary world what it looks like to live in peace, to sing in harmony, to be in tune with each other and to maintain unity even as we celebrate our unique God given gifts,  passions and experiences. 


“Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind.”  I Peter 3:8 (ESV)

 

1 comment:

  1. Yes and amen! I love how you connected the Body of Christ to the metaphor of music. That is so true.

    ReplyDelete